Teeth Cleaning & Dental Checkups
There are many ways you can play an active role in maintaining your oral health. Having your teeth cleaned in our office every six months is an excellent place to start. Our hygienists and dentists identify plaque and problem areas before thoroughly cleaning your teeth, providing you with information to sustain a happy, healthy smile.
Why is it important to have consistent teeth cleanings and checkups?
Routine checkups are an essential part of proper oral hygiene. Some of the benefits of regular teeth cleanings include:
- Healthier bones and gums.
- Longer lasting teeth.
- Early detection and treatment of cancer and other oral health conditions.
- Beautiful, healthy smiles.
What happens when we miss teeth cleanings?
Failure to keep up on proper oral hygiene can lead to:
- An impaired ability to eat and digest foods, leading to nutritional and systemic problems.
- Bad breath, resulting from advancing periodontal disease and/or rotting food particles.
- Negative effects on cardiovascular well-being and overall health.
- Gum infection and gangrene.
Proper Oral Hygiene: How to Prevent Tooth Decay
There are several simple and affordable ways in which you can fight tooth decay—a common chronic health condition.
- Brush twice and floss once daily.
- Schedule and have dental cleanings and checkups twice a year.
- Eat fewer sugary and acidic foods.
- Take fluoride tablets, which make teeth more resistant to decay.
- Ask your dentist about additional cleaning supplements.
Are there different kinds of teeth cleanings?
No. Prophylaxis—a fancy word for teeth cleaning—is the only dental procedure of its kind. Prophylaxis involves a routine teeth cleaning every six months.
The procedures that are sometimes called “cleanings” are actually periodontal treatments: